Born and raised in Japan I enjoyed a fair share of origami just like most Japanese children, but I had forgotten about it as I grew older. It is only since 2006 that I started folding paper again, while teaching school aged children. My interest in origami grew over the years since then, and it eventually became my main subject to teach, and my passion.
I live in Portland, Oregon and teach at local schools, libraries, camps, elder care facilities, correctional facilities, and at special events. I have taught a wide age range of people from pre-school and school aged children, teens, adults, seniors, as well as in multi-age and intergenerational settings. I love promoting this form of art that can be enjoyed by a wide variety of people.
In addition, I am a member of the American national origami society, OrigamiUSA. I occasionally write on its magazine and attend its conventions. In 2019 I was the local lead of Pacific Coast OrigamiUSA Convention held in Portland. I am also a member of Portland’s local origami group, Portland Oregon Paper Shapers, and regularly attend their monthly meetings. I love exploring new folding techniques and connecting with fellow origami enthusiasts, near and far.
Here is a summary of my work in the past decade:
- Multnomah/Washington/Clackamas County/Fort Vancouver Regional Library Locations – taught over 150 classes since 2007
- Willowbrook Outdoor Summer Arts Camp Program – founded and led Japanese Arts Center since 2007
- Childpeace Montessori School – taught origami as a substitute and aftercare art teacher since 2007
- Alder Commons – taught online & in-person classes and workshops since 2020
- Assisted Living at Laurelhurst Village – taught monthly classes, 2008-2020
- Courtyard at Mt. Tabor (Assisted and Independent Living) – taught monthly classes since 2016
- Oregon Historical Society – featured author at Holiday Cheer: Annual Celebration of Oregon Authors, 2019, display and workshop in conjunction with “Folding Paper: Infinite Possibilities of Origami” exhibit, 2013; display and workshop at Family Day Event for Elephant Packy’s 50th Birthday, 2012
- Portland Art Museum – demonstration, workshop and display in Japanese Poetry, Art & Culture Weekend events, in conjunction with Poetic Imagination in Japanese Art exhibit, 2018 and 2019.
- Portland Japanese Garden – display and workshop at the Doll Festival, 2012, 2014 and 2015; displays and demonstrations at the Star Festival, 2013, 2017, 2018 and 2019. Diagrams, video productions and displays for the Children’s Day Celebration, 2022. Workshops for the Children’s Day Celebration and 60th Anniversary Celebration, 2023.
- Adidas – orizomegami (folding and dyeing paper) workshop on Designers Art Week, 2017
- Grace Art Camp – guest artist, 2017
- Children’s Healing Art Project (CHAP) – guest artist workshop, 2017; guest artist visit at Doernbecher’s Children’s Hospital, 2016
- Oregon State Penitentiary – taught yearly workshops at Asian Pacific Family Club meetings since 2013; report featured in OrigamiUSA’s The Paper magazine, titled “Origami Behind Bars: Teaching Paperfolding at A Correctional Facility in Oregon.”
- Coffee Creek Correctional Facility – workshops at Spiritual Community for Lifers meetings, 2016 and 2017
- Oregon Garden Resort – workshops, 2012 and 2016
- Oregon Zoo – display and workshop at Elephant Packy’s 50th Birthday Celebration, 2012; display, demonstration and workshop at Annual World Animal Festival, 2007 to 2011